Your Care | Your Health | Your Home
The Restvale Heritage
This original building had been constructed by Mr Redpath, founder of the Onkaparinga Woollen Mill. The Lobethal and District Hospital Association Incorporated was established in 1919 and it eventually closed due to a lack of qualified staff on the 7th November 1961.
The first public meeting to consider establishing a home for the aged was held in 1963, and the first residents came in August 1964.
The Lobethal & District Aged Homes Incorporated (Restvale) was opened by Sir Thomas Playford.
The gentleman standing on the front porch was Pastor Fischer. He was the Pastor at the time of the Lobethal Lutheran Church. He played a vital role in the instigation of Restvale.
Charges for the home was £5 per week for full pensioners and £7 per week for non-pensioners.
Restvale had a $395,000 redevelopment, making it a 32- bed aged facility.
A $1.6m extension to the Restvale facility was approved making Restvale a 36-bed aged facility.
Commenced in 1965, the first President of the Committee was Mrs Stella Kleemann, followed by Mrs Olga Hein. Olga was President for 10 consecutive years and was on the committee until its closure in 2021 Now 96, she is the last foundation member left.
Restvale was extremely fortunate to have great leaders over the years. Matron Becker, Margaret Cornish who served 22 years and Lyn McVee for 13 years who was so professional and caring.
Many fetes were held and different fundraisers occurred. The Restvale House Committee raised funds for the upgrading of the sunroom. The well- known pasty bake commenced in 2009.
In 2020 the SARS COV virus emerged and spread all over the globe. The elderly were at particular risk during the COVID Pandemic. Strict adherence to safety measures enabled Restvale to navigate this crisis.
The new logo for Restvale is introduced to reflect the spirit, heritage, values and importance of the local community.
The Restvale Board continues to plan for the next phase of improvements at Restvale. Improvements on all aspects of Restvale will be implemented in stages and will include the dining, recreation and common areas, resident’s rooms, kitchen, and offices.
Lobethal was settled in 1842 and represents the third wave of permanent German settlement in South Australia. Lobethal’s roots are as a cottage industry and agricultural community. From 1914 to the Second World War, the town was a very prosperous industrial centre allied to a thriving rural community. The position of the Lutheran Church both spiritually and physically was central to the development of the town and continues to play an integral role today.
The original building currently occupied by Restvale had been constructed in 1909 by Robert Redpath, founder of the Onkaparinga Woollen Mill, at the time the town’s biggest employer.
Lobethal and District Hospital Association Incorporated, established in 1919, took over the premises before it closed on 7 November 1961.
A public meeting to consider establishing a home for the aged was held in 1963, and the first residents arrived in August 1964.